Monday, July 7, 2014

Missionary Toolbox

Dear Family and Friends!

Hola! How was everyone's 4th? Mine was good! We hung out with members for most of the day. Proselyting is REALLY hard on holidays. Everyone is angry to see us haha. But we went to A LOT of BBQ's. We both got sick from eating too much food and I am pretty sure I gained like 10 pounds that day. #idahoprobs #1stworldmissionprobs. It was great to be with our members. I was missing my family lots that day, but the wards just took us under their wing and made us feel like part of a family, and I was really grateful for that. We did some arts and crafts, and ate good food, and did some fireworks. It was great! This year, the 4th took on a little different meaning for me though. I was reading in 2 Nephi chapter 1 when Lehi is prophesying of America, a land of freedom and liberty. It just really hit me that it was always part of Heavenly Father's plan. It paved the way for the Restoration of the Gospel, and that we are able to worship freely and have all the freedoms that we do. AMAZING. I love the Gospel. #'merica


This week was a busy one! First of all, we got to go to the temple which is always the best. I really wish we could go more, but I won't complain because a lot of missionaries don't get to go at all. :) I just love the temple so much. I am reminded every time I go of the incredible knowledge we have and of the blessings of the Gospel and of eternal families. #thebest. I am just reminded over and over again that this is what I want in my life and there is truly nothing better. My mission has truly converted me. I don't think my testimony would be as strong without it and I wouldn't appreciate the Gospel as much. The temple is truly a blessing and we need to be going as much as we can! I always receive so much inspiration and peace while I am there. When I go to the temple, nothing else matters, and I am able to see the eternal perspective! AHhhh. So wonderful.

This week we also had LOTS of missionary meetings. I love them because I always learn so much and am always humbled and always leave with a desire to become better. We had a new missionary meeting for Sister Pohahau and a Zone training. I know that I have been working hard, but this week I have really just felt like there is so much more I could be doing. I was really struggling and doubting myself a lot, and so I decided to get on my knees and ask Heavenly Father what I should do. A simple answer came. Work. So that is what I am going to do! As I was studying and pondering about what we could do better, I also received a lot of inspiration and direction that we need to work with the members and get them excited. I came across a quote in the June Ensign from Elder Bednar that said, "Members are the full-time finders, and missionaries are the full-time teachers." That had never really crossed my mind before. Our members are great, but they aren't really doing their part in missionary work. So during our planning session, Sister Pohahau and I really sought inspiration as to how we could involve them, and the ideas just started coming. We came up with SO MUCH. Family mission plans, activities, a missionary toolbox, Book of Mormon challenge, and so much more. It was awesome! Members are really scared to be missionaries, but most of them don't realize how easy it is. We really feel like that is going to be our key to success, and we are so excited and so grateful for the guidance we received. So I challenge all of you to get outside your comfort zones, and open your mouths and to share the Gospel because it is not only your responsibility, it is a commandment. That is the most important thing you will ever do in this life! And Heavenly Father is preparing so many people. Being a missionary doesn't mean we have to teach people. It means reaching out, and serving others, and simply being Christlike and being an example and being a friend. I always love the story of Ammon when he is a servant to King Lamoni and it says he was a "friend to the King." So go out there and share the Gospel!!!!!!! Heavenly Father is counting on you! 


We found a new family to teach this week. He is a member and she isn't. They have the CUTEST kids and are basically the most adorable family ever. She really wants to learn more and really wants her family to be sealed. And they are awesome. They came to church and had a really great experience. I love teaching families because that is really what it is all about and it is so cool to see that desire that they have. This week we also got to teach in primary, Sunday School, and Young womens! Yay! #justaskthemissionaries! it is a really great experience to be able to just pick up and teach at the last minute. I don't even get nervous anymore and I really feel like my mission is preparing me to serve in calling for the rest of my life. And I realized that I really miss young womens. We taught about ordinances and the importance of preparing right now. It was such a powerful lesson and how grateful I am for the sacred ordinances. We had a really great week and we are excited for another one!

I just love the mission. I am learning so much, and not just about the Gospel, but about life in general. I write down all the good idea/traditions/recipes that people do for my future family. I am learning what it really takes to stay strong and to be a faithful member of the church. It is awesome. Thank you all for the love and support! Have an amazing week. I love you!
Love, SIster Bigs

No comments:

Post a Comment